[OFFTOPIC] Re: One Laptop Per Child

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Mon Nov 12 12:29:54 PST 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007, Pollywog wrote:
>On Monday 12 November 2007 19:06:28 Chuck Robey wrote:
>>
>> I wish it wasn't this way.  Maybe it's just in the schools I visited?
>> If so, anyone have a better experience?  Until I hear of some, I won't
>> contribute to any "computers for kids" deal, because  it only benefits
>> big computer companies, who sell the machines, not the kids.
>
>It is true that the companies that sell computers and software benefit, but
>the same could be said of companies that sell state-approved textbooks to
>schools (if you have seen those textbooks you know what I mean), the
>companies that sell shoes for sports, etc.  There is one large software
>company that gives some software to schools and then gets a tax cut even
>though it benefits down the line when those kids grow up to buy that
>company's software because that is the software they know.

The biggest problem I see with computers in classrooms is that
they distract the student's attention from the teacher.  I know
that I have to back away from my computer completely when talking
on the phone, unless I'm doing direct support at the time,
because I find myself distracted from the conversation.

I'll leave it at that as I don't want to take this in the
direction of government schools as indoctrination centers.

Bill

We shouldn't elect a President;  we should elect a magician.
    Will Rogers