dealing with a failing drive

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Nov 12 08:07:42 PST 2007

On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 05:22:06PM -0800, David Newman wrote:

> I'd welcome suggestions on how (or whether) to try to revive a SCSI
> drive that's failing.

to answer 'whether':  don't.   Get your stuff off from it as
soon as possible and nuke it if it has anything sensitive at all.

If it is a mirror or raid5 then you should be able to just replace it, but
otherwise, back it up immediately and quit using it.

Generally, if you start seeing a regular hard error, the drive
is on its last legs.   The errors only increase.    You may be
able to do things to get past this one error, but more will be
coming.

So, is answer to 'how': also don't.

////jerry