One Laptop Per Child

Beech Rintoul beech at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 12 00:40:27 PST 2007

On Sunday 11 November 2007, Olivier Nicole said:
> > I am usually not the one to bring up these things but I feel very
> > strongly about this. Starting Monday, November 12 this website is
> > offering a give one get one deal. I believe the money will be
> > well invested. YMMV
> >
> > http://xogiving.org/
>
> That is a difficult issue, while this is an opportunity, I doubt
> this is the most needed thing to provide education. We are talking
> giving laptop to people who do not even have electricity in some
> cases...
>
> Olivier

From what I've been reading they are addressing this issue. One way
was providing solar power recharging stations. The other was hooking
up carousel type playground equipment to a small generator to
recharge the laptops. The third was good old WWII vintage hand crank
power. I also read that these laptops are optimized for low power
usage. I live in Alaska and they have been using the internet  for
education in rural villiages for many years with much success. I
personally think this is a great idea. Too bad they won't all be
running FreeBSD :-)

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html