5.2.1 to 6.2 Migration.

Chris Haulmark chris at sigd.net
Sun Nov 4 09:25:51 PST 2007

> > > If you have reinstalled a userland that depends on a kernel that
> > > doesn't boot, you are quite likely to be in trouble.
> >
> > I always do buildworld/installworld as part of my kernel
> > build/installs. That is to ensure staying in sync.
> >
> > I reboot after the installworld then again after the installkernel.
>
> You should do it the other way around. That way if the new kernel
> doesn't boot you aren't stuck with an out of sync userland which may
> not play nicely with your old kernel. Also, depending on the changes
> booting an old kernel with a new userland may (and has) result in
> your system not booting at all.
>
> The proper sequence is:
>
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel
> # make installkernel
> # reboot
> # mergemaster -p
> # make installworld
> # mergemaster
> # reboot

I prefer to do [build|install]world prior to building the kernel
with the new installed tools.

Even with an outsynced system, the most common tools to be affected
are ps and top.  Even when a kernel fails to boot all the
way through, you can still rebuild a new kernel after booting
with the old kernel.  Having the new system tools will not
hurt.

The OP's primary goal was to discuss about if it was possible
to upgrade 5.x to 6.x remotely via ssh.  I provided that it
was possible and what my method is.

Chris