Determining the number of files in a directory

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Sat Nov 3 13:07:38 PDT 2007

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 10:44:43 -0400
John Nielsen <lists at jnielsen.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 03 November 2007, Daniel Bye wrote:
> > >
> > > Heheh! You and many more, my friend, myself absolutely included!

> > >  $ ls | wc -l
> > >
> > > will show you how many files and directories in the current
> > > (target) directory. To count just files, and exclude directories,
> > > you could try something like
> > >
> > >  $ find /target/directory -type f -print | wc -l
> >
> > Except of course, that would descend into the subdirectories you're
> > trying not to count... Sorry - an object lesson in not hitting send
> > before you've tested what you scribbled.
>
> find /target/directory -type f -maxdepth 1 | wc -l
>
> should do the trick. See also man find and man wc, of course.

That's better than ls(1), which is terribly slow at displaying
(actually: at sorting) large directories. In this case, better
turn off sorting with 'ls -f':

$ time ls -f /usr/local/news/News | wc -l
        0.42 real         0.29 user         0.07 sys
   35935

$ time ls /usr/local/news/News | wc -l
      147.02 real        33.92 user         0.07 sys
   35935

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/