curious DNS behavior on a 7.0...

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Fri Nov 2 07:47:14 PDT 2007

Quoting Steve Bertrand <iaccounts at ibctech.ca>:

> CONCLUSION:
>
> If the last poster is right and it's only the browser is failing because
> it uses it's own faulty internal DNS resolver, then this is obviously a
> serious hindrance to the implementation of IPv6.

so a browser behavior, and not an operating system or name server
behavior?  as far as i know, my name servers dont know how to speak
ipv6 either, as they are 6.2p8's without INET6 in their kernel
configs.  so, my browser of choice is opera, but admittedly, i dont
recall ever seeing a setting i can change concerning this behavior.
how then, would one go about elminating ipv6 behavior from a browser?

> Of course most 'users'
> aren't on the 'Internet' if their MSN page doesn't display, and will
> take the path of least cost to make it work ;)

not sure if that was intended for me or not... if so, my retort is "if
i wanted path of least cost (in terms of time and trouble)... i would
have just got on my ibook which 'just works'"  (har har  :)  *shrug*
all i know is that my other systems that have no ipv6 at all, arent
able to produce such behavior.

cheers,
--
Jonathan Horne