Customizing installation/distribution.

Manders, Christopher Christopher.Manders at ucsf.edu
Thu May 31 22:06:26 UTC 2007

G'day,

I need to be able to distribute an FTP version of FreeBSD with some minor changes...

We have a standard set of customizations that we need to be able to dist out in cookie-cutter style to our production systems, and include:
- Custom /etc/motd
- Custom /etc/pf.conf
- Custom /etc/ssh/sshd_config
- Custom /etc/ttys
- Custom /boot/loader.conf (e.g. beastie_disable="YES")
- Remove 'toor' account
- Remove *GCC* from base, so no-one can compile anything.

I have a FreeSBIE CD that I have set up to:
1) Boot a Live FreeBSD system, replete with PERL and a few other pkgs to allow (2) to work.
2) A PERL script that asks the boot user some info (IP/netmask/gw/FTP-install-server/hostname).
3) A modified sysinstall that asks for no input if the config file from the previos step is found, and reaches out to our FTP server.

I am finding that the source is checked out from ncvs each time, so all changes are not saved when I cd /usr/src/release && make release. I have specified the following with the 'make release':

ROOTDIR=/data/release
BUILDNAME=6.2.mybuild
NODOC=YES
NOPORT=YES
CVSROOT=/data/ncvs
RELEASE=RELENG_6_2

Any clues as to how I can assure that my changes are included?

Note: As far as PKGs go, that I have figured out for additional ports/PKGs to add onto the BASE. It is the BASE distribution that is giving me a headache.

Pointers and suggestions welcome.

TIA!
-cjm