Download speed and TCPIP window sizing

Pang freebsd at laws.ms
Thu May 31 14:33:46 UTC 2007

Hello,
  Recently, I have leased a rack in Asianetcom and some bandwidth.
However, the speed for my curcuit is substantially slower than my
provider's company site. The provider said my circuit and their one are
treated exactly the same way.
  Below is the URL for the download:
My circuit*: http://203.192.137.194/test.rar
ANC curcuit:
http://www.asianetcom.com/pub/communications/AsiaNetcomNews_2006Q2.pdf
*This server is using FreeBSD 6.2 patch 4 with Apache in the port tree.
The kernel is custom built but I haven't made any modification in sysctl

  I have asked many techs in Asianetcom and they blamed on TCPIP window
sizing. I am not sure what it is, so I do a search in Google and find
the following:
http://www.vad1.com/tcp-throughput-limit.html

  After reading the article above, I feel the situation is very similar.
But, from my understanding, the download speed should be proportional to
the ping speed. However, test done on Canada is much higher (about 3
times higher) than in US while the ping is very similar.

  Could anyone tell me whether my understanding on Window sizing
correct? Also, is there any way to alter the window sizing in freebsd or
apache?

Thanks
Pang