what is pkg_create doing?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu May 31 13:47:22 UTC 2007

paul beard <paulbeard at gmail.com> writes:

> I realize it should be obvious from the name but it seems to linger
> for several minutes after each package is installed.
>
> PID      USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME
> WCPU COMMAND
> 55763         root              1    121    0     1852K  1232K RUN
> 0   2:38 95.73% pkg_create
>
> I am new to 6.2 (being a belated migrator from 4.x): is there a knob
> somewhere to turn off pkg creation? Not that I see any packages being
> kept anywhere . . . .

When a package is built, it is always done *after* the port has been
installed into $PREFIX.  As far as I recall, packages don't get built
unless you explicitly ask for them, so the command you used to install
the program is what you need to look at for details.  Incidentally,
built packages get installed to /usr/ports/packages by default.

None of this is different from earlier versions, as far as I remember.