installing the kernel

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Thu May 31 11:41:44 UTC 2007

Dhananjaya hiremath wrote:
> Hello sir,
>    Here we are installing the kernel by following commond
>   #make depend
>   #make
>   #make install
>
>   But #make depend is working when we give #make it giving following error so please mention what is wrong with us.
>
>   Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/src/sys/dev/ipmi
> cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -Werror -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I-   -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -I@/../include -finline-limit=8000 -fno-common  -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -ffreestanding -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual  -fformat-extensions -std=c99 -c ipmi.c
> *** Error code 1
>   Stop in /usr/src/sys/dev/ipmi.
>
>   Thank U and Regards
>   Dhananjaya Hiremath

Building and installing a FreeBSD kernel is mostly a fool-proof process
- as long as you know what to edit in / out of the configuration file.
It is described in great depth in the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

I don't know where you get your instructions from, but it looks like you
are trying to copy linux procedures. First study the handbook, then try.