Unable to open /nvidiactl

Sereno Ternullo serenoternullo at virgilio.it
Thu May 31 02:53:53 UTC 2007

ml-vic ha scritto:
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
> (EE) NVIDIA(0):     that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
> (EE) NVIDIA(0):     that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly.
> (EE) NVIDIA(0):     Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
> (EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
> (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
> (II) UnloadModule: "ramdac"
> (II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
> (II) UnloadModule: "fb"
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

I had a similar problem installing the nvidia driver by using the port
provided with FreeBSD.
I used to get a message similar to yours. What kind of nvidia card is in
your system ?

First of all, delete the packate installed by port.

nvidia provides most of old cards support through the "legacy" driver,
and you have
to download the appropriate one by getting it on the nvidia site.

type

$ pciconf -lv

to get the exact name of your card.

So get to http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
and search your legacy package between those listed, for example

http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_1.0-9639.html

at the end of each package page you can find the list of nvidia hardware
supported
by that package, for example

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html

If your card name is in that list, you have found the right package.
Download, untar, make install and  nvdia-xconfig.

On my system everything worked fine this way,
glxgears run pretty fast.

Hope to be useful,
see you