NFS tuning on FreeBSD

Christopher Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Wed May 30 17:19:57 UTC 2007

Devin Heckman wrote:

[snip]

> Specifically, I want to know what version of NFS the connection is
> running over, whether or not it's using TCP or UDP, and other
> information of that nature. I haven't quite found a utility or file that
> contains this information yet.

That's a good question. Honestly I've never had to look. If I recall
your original question properly your server was FreeBSD and your client
was Linux. In this case the Linux mount command gives you good
information. From FreeBSD the only way that I have found was to embed
the options into the fstab file and use the short version of the mount
command when attaching the filesystem.

For a tcp mount my fstab entry on FreeBSD looks like this:

      server:/directory /mountpoint nfs rw,tcp,intr,noauto 0 0

On my Ubuntu Linux box I have to do this:

      server/directory /mountpoint nfs rw,tcp,nfsvers=3,intr,noauto 0 0

To get the same effect.

For the FreeBSD NFS client the default is to try NFSv3 first followed by
NFSv2. The documentation on my Ubuntu box indicates that it's Linux
client defaults to NFSv2 and uses UDP. The behavior that I would expect
to see from an Ubuntu Linux NFS client with a FreeBSD NFS server would
be a NFSv2 UDP mount.

Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer. Perhaps someone on the list
knows a better way.

-- Chris

--
       __o          "All I was doing was trying to get home from work."
     _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks