grub

sac sac at inf.in
Wed May 30 02:47:39 UTC 2007

On 5/30/07, Dan Nelson <dnelson at allantgroup.com> wrote:
> In the last episode (May 29), Richard Knebel said:
> >  I had freebsd installed on my 1st hardrive withour difficuties. I
> >  then installed Debian Linux on my 2nd hard drive and the grub
> >  bootloader overwrote my mbr and now I can only boot debian. How can
> >  I get my freebsd back ?
>
> Assuming grub is functional, you might want to just keep it and add
> another entry like this:
>
>  title FreeBSD
>   root (hd1,1,a)
>   kernel /boot/loader
>   savedefault
>
> replacing (hd1,1,a) with whatever "find /boot/loader" at the grub CLI
> returns.  If your grub doesn't have UFS support, then the find and
> kernel commands won't work, and you'll have to chainload to the FreeBSD
> slice's bootblock instead of using the "kernel" command.
>
> If you really want booteasy back, boot into FreeBSD and run "boot0cfg
> -B /dev/ad0" (or whatever your 1st hardrive's device is)
>
> --
>         Dan Nelson
>         dnelson at allantgroup.com

Boot into your linux box, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst
And add the following lines:

title FreeBSD
root (hd0,1)    # this changes based on where on the partition/drive
the FreeBSD is installed.
chainloader +1
savedefault

run,

# grub-install /dev/hda      # sda if sata disk

reboot.

this should help to solve your problem