grub

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed May 30 02:09:49 UTC 2007

In the last episode (May 29), Richard Knebel said:
>  I had freebsd installed on my 1st hardrive withour difficuties. I
>  then installed Debian Linux on my 2nd hard drive and the grub
>  bootloader overwrote my mbr and now I can only boot debian. How can
>  I get my freebsd back ?

Assuming grub is functional, you might want to just keep it and add
another entry like this:

 title FreeBSD
  root (hd1,1,a)
  kernel /boot/loader
  savedefault

replacing (hd1,1,a) with whatever "find /boot/loader" at the grub CLI
returns.  If your grub doesn't have UFS support, then the find and
kernel commands won't work, and you'll have to chainload to the FreeBSD
slice's bootblock instead of using the "kernel" command.

If you really want booteasy back, boot into FreeBSD and run "boot0cfg
-B /dev/ad0" (or whatever your 1st hardrive's device is)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com