Blown Up /Usr files

Jack Schneider puck at volunteerwireless.net
Tue May 29 21:42:12 UTC 2007

Jack Schneider wrote:
> Roland Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 01:41:47PM -0500, Jack Schneider wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi, Anyone.
>>>  My /Usr directory/slice is now over 5.2 GB for a basic workstation 6.2
>>>  install. thats 90%+ of the slice. I need help with a procedure to
>>> clean
>>>  it up. The machine is:
>>>
>>>  FreeBSD Growler.maplebend.net 6.2-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p3
>>> #2:
>>>  Wed Apr 18 11:16:35 CDT 2007
>>>  KDE 3.5.1
>>>
>>>  Updated /ports & Sources via CVSUP.
>>>
>>>  I have no idea where to start. Where should I look for redundant or
>>>  obsolete files?
>>>

>> You could clear out the files in /usr/ports/distfiles, because you
>> can always
>> download those again.
>>
>> If you have ever built a new kernel & world, you can clean out /usr/obj
>> after installing them.
>> If you have ports that you don't use, pkg_delete those as well, since
>> they're in /usr/local. For instance, if you've upgraded to xorg 7.2, you
>> can delete most of the drivers ports.
>>
>> While you're at it, you can set the nodump flag on both of these
>> directories, so that they're no backed up.
>>
>> Roland
>
>> Whoa!!!   Let me absorb and explore all the goodies  8-)  I got from
>> you folks...
>>

>> I'll let you know how it turns out.  one by one..
>>

>> Thanks, Guys
>>

>> Jack

As sugested by  Roland Smith,  I looked at /usr/obj as follows:
Growler# cd /usr/obj ; ls -al
total 6
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  512 Mar 30 12:08 .
drwxr-xr-x  20 root  wheel  512 May 29 14:34 ..
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  512 Mar 30 12:08 usr
Growler# du -hs *
163M    usr
Growler# rm -rf usr
Growler#

It appears a copy of the /usr directory & files were placed there. Back
in March?  I deleted it as you can see, that got me a little space  and
it's still running...  8-)

Jack