Blown Up /Usr files

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Tue May 29 19:21:39 UTC 2007

Hi,

On 29/05/07, Jack Schneider <puck at volunteerwireless.net> wrote:
> Hi, Anyone.
> My /Usr directory/slice is now over 5.2 GB for a basic workstation 6.2
> install. thats 90%+ of the slice. I need help with a procedure to clean
> it up. The machine is:
>
> FreeBSD Growler.maplebend.net 6.2-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p3 #2:
> Wed Apr 18 11:16:35 CDT 2007
> KDE 3.5.1
>
> Updated /ports & Sources via CVSUP.

What about doing a

# cd /usr ; du -hs *

This will list the contents of the hierarchy, so you might get a
glimpse of where all your disk space is. A pretty good example would
be /usr/ports/distfiles. And if you don't do a "make clean" after you
installed a port you have a complete source tree, including object
files and read to be installed binaries in a ./work-subdir of every
port you installed.

cd /usr/ports ; make clean

will help in this case.

And is it possible that your home-Directory is actually
/usr/home/<username>? In all FreeBSD installations I did my home-dirs
end up there, /home being just a symlink to /usr/home.

HTH
Christian