machine will no longer boot

Daniel Molina Wegener dmw at unete.cl
Mon May 28 16:35:27 UTC 2007

Hello,

   Try booting from a FreeBSD Install CD, load the needed modules before
booting the kernel, start the sysinstall. From sysinstall in the Install
CD, start a "Fixit" shell. From the shell set the partitions booteable and
write changes. Do not resize or apply newfs to the partitions, just set
booteable and write the partition info. Mount your / slice, and install
the BTX loader into the MBR using:

    boot0cfg -vB -b /boot/boot0 /dev/TheDiskDevice

    That works for me on my SATA disks.

Regards
DMW

El Lun, 28 de Mayo de 2007, 12:05, WarrenHead escribió:
> Hi list,
>
> Yesterday I installed a new sata disk into my server, which is connected
> to a highpoint rocket raid card. I plugged in only one disk, so no raid yet.
>
> I ran sysinstall and then fdisk and disklabel. All was fine and I placed
> files onto the disk. Then I realized I had made a mistake, I had made
> only one partition with fdisk, and two slices with disklabel.
> (Mountpoints pointing to /mnt/x  and /mnt/y.)
> Somehow I got another mountpoint automatically which mounted the entire
> disk as one, to /media/z. Weird.
>
> So I ran sysinstall again and used fdisk to erase everything and create
> two partitions. I wrote these changes successfully to the disk.
>
> I then started disklabel (still from within sysinstall) and created the
> two mount points for the two partitions again.
> I tried to write these changes to the disk, but that failed.
>
> Mmm, weird. So, perhaps I needed to reboot first?
> Which I did, and now I cannot boot anymore.
>
> The error messages that show on screen are something like this:
> Can't stat /dev/ad4sd1 No such file or directory
> Can't stat /dev/ad4se1 No such file or directory
> After that I get a bogus shell which can do virtually nothing. I have no
> idea what it is.
> I can cat /etc/fstab though and noticed that the two lines with
> mountpoints for the new disk are indeed the new lines. I guess disklabel
> was partially succesfull?
>
> Perhaps I should simply remove these lines in /etc/fstab?
> Unfortunately, with this ridiculous shell, I don't know how to.
>
> So I tried a livecd (Knoppix 5.1). Since the system disk was formatted
> as ufstype=5xbsd, I have trouble writing to it. Bummer.
>
> But... should I remove these lines in /etc/fstab? Will this matter?
>
> Luckily I can read the disk, so if necessary I can start over, but I
> hope there is something I can do from within that odd shell.
>
> Please advise, this particular problem is not fun.
>
> Cheers, Warren

 .O. | Daniel Molina Wegener   | C/C++ Developer
 ..O | dmw [at] unete [dot] cl | FOSS Coding Adict
 OOO | BSD & Linux User        | Standards Rocks!