How to find disk slice layout

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Mon May 28 15:38:44 UTC 2007

On May 28, 2007, at 9:53 AM, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 10:34:52PM -0500, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>
>> Is there some
>> command I can use to remind me of how I sliced that partition?
>
> I am guessing that you have your terminology scrambled,

You guessed correctly.  I should have asked to see how I "partitioned
that slice" instead of "sliced that partition".   Once I realized my
error, it became clear that I needed to ask bsdlabel about a slice
and so

   bsdlabel /dev/ad0s1

would have been the correct command (while I had incorrectly been
trying it on /dev/ad0)

> so lets straighten that first [...]

Thanks for that.

> Note you do not back up the swap partition which is normally 'b'
> and don't do anything to the 'c' partition which is there only to
> describe the slice to the system and is not a true partition.
> You can probably skip backing up your /tmp also.

What about /dev and /var?

I'm willing to lose the log files in /var/log if it comes to it, and
I don't have local mail delivery or much important that would be in
out-going mail queues.

I also feel that I should have put /usr/ports/distfiles on another
file system, since I don't particularly care to back up those
either.  I guess I could just put in a symbolic link to something on /
var

Again, thank you.

-j