ath0 going haywire

Gunther Mayer gunther.mayer at googlemail.com
Sun May 27 23:45:50 UTC 2007

Hi there,

My ath0 wireless interface is going crazy lately. In my logs the kernel
keeps telling me

May 28 01:26:28 greg ath0: link state changed to UP
May 28 01:26:28 greg ath0: link state changed to UP
May 28 01:26:28 greg ath0: link state changed to DOWN
May 28 01:26:28 greg ath0: link state changed to DOWN

while the wireless connection becomes completely useless. The first time
this happened was 5 days ago when I got these messages every couple of
minutes. Today it happened again but much worse than before: First 4
such messages every 3 seconds, then later 15/sec!!! This kept going for
almost 2 hours while I tried to debug things over the wired interface,
but I had no luck until miraculously it stopped its madness and came
back to normal 15 min ago. No other hints in /var/log/messages...

This this a sign of failing hardware? Or some other obscure bug in the
ath driver?

My signal is pretty solid at 25-30 S:N btw so it can't be that...

Gunther