Having fun installing FreeBSD on machine with a USB keyboard

youshi10 at u.washington.edu youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sat May 26 20:50:53 UTC 2007

I'm trying to install 6.2, then bootstrap up to 7-CURRENT on my desktop, but I'm having issues getting everything installed, because it fails to find / load the USB keyboard / HID modules.

When I do load the uhid and ukbd modules at the boot prompt, the system just locks up after it tries to configure the atkbd module.

The current handbook chapter doesn't suggest anything about installing with USB keyboards:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-start.html

but the archived one (I assume used to install 4.x/5.x based on the archived main page) says I should disable atkbd and load ukbd/uhid:

http://www.pl.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-start.html

I can't do this though as the atkbd module is compiled into the kernel statically.

Using the May snapshot of CURRENT, and yes I have legacy USB support compiled into the kernel.

Thanks,
-Garrett