Restore UFS snapshot

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sat May 26 19:44:01 UTC 2007

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 09:05:07PM +0200, Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:

> Roland Smith wrote:
> >> Is it possible to rollback a file system snapshot, i.e. restore the
> >> file system to the state it was in at the time a mksnap_ffs command
> >> was issued?
> >
> > You can mount the snapshot, and then copy the files back to the original fs.
> > Note that cp can preserve flags, but not ACLs AFAIK.
>
> Yes, I know that this is possible. However, it's a lot of work.

Huh?

Suppose you did 'mksnap_ffs /usr /usr/.snap/20070526'

Then all you have to is something like:

# mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /usr/.snap/20070526 -u 0
# mount /dev/md0 /mnt/snapshot
# cd /usr
# tar cf - /mnt/snapshot/* |tar xpf -
# umount /mnt/snapshot
# mdconfig -d -u 0

How much easier could it be? You could easily create a script for this
as well.

> There should be some straightforward way of rolling back to a
> snapshot, since the files and all the file system structure are
> already there. Also, there might not be room on the disk for it.

Snapshots take up room as well.

Roland