FreeBSD on PPC (G4)

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Fri May 25 13:08:28 UTC 2007

On Friday 25 May 2007 06:45:36 Norberto Meijome wrote:
> Hi guys and gals,
> I've got a PowerMac G4 model M8570 with OSX. I would like to give one of
> the OSS versions of BSD a try on this machine.
>
> The NetBSD page for the ppc port seems to indicate better support than
> FreeBSD's, though I'd prefer FBSD.
>
> Does anyone know how well would it actually work ?
>
> thanks!
> _________________________
> {Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

I too have a G4 (cube), and i try from time to time to get freebsd installed
on it.  current state of affairs last i tried, was the the ppc sysinstall was
not able to write changes to a partition table (ie, cannot remove old and
then recreate new) partitions.  also, the boot loader is a bit screwy, and i
decided i would try again later when things worked more like they do on i386.

http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/ppc.html

forgive my foul language, but linux-ppc works like a charm.

cheers,
--
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org