laser printer - which one? (Brother HL-2070N)

Bill-Schoolcraft bill at wiliweld.com
Fri May 25 07:38:32 UTC 2007

At Thu, 24 May 2007 it looks like Warren Block composed:

> On Thu, 24 May 2007, Gabor Kovesdan wrote:
>
>> might be a bit off here, but I'm sure some of you have experiences with
>> laser printers. I would like to buy a (relatively) cheap laser printer with
>> the following requirements:
>>
>> - quality (I mean here, that I want to use it for a long time, thus it
>> should be of good quality and be robust)
>> - has such a toner, *that can be refilled cheaply*
>> - prints in good quality, speed and noise is not that important
>> - should work under FreeBSD / Linux, not just under Windows
>>
>> As for the price, I'm thinking of 100 000 HUF (about 400 EUR) as *very*
>> maximum. The price is important, but the first point is more important at
>> all...I color laser printer would be cool if this amount of money is
>> sufficient for this, but a BW one is ok, too.
>
> My suggestion would be a used HP LaserJet 4050, preferably with a JetDirect
> network interface.  I've used them as network printers for FreeBSD with
> excellent results, they're built well and cheap to run. Have not tried toner
> refilling, though.
>
> You could probably buy a color laser with mostly-empty "starter" toner at
> this price, but replacing supplies could cost as much or more than the
> printer.

I just purchased a Brother-2070N that works fine.  $130.oo from
Costco with a 1500 page toner cartdridge.  It has a network
interface built in too.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11037212&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

Shit... it's $40.oo cheaper this week than it was two weeks ago when
I bought mine!

--
   Bill Schoolcraft <*> http://wiliweld.com

"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday,
     lying in hospitals dying of nothing."
                 -- Redd Foxx