raid or not raid

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu May 24 16:37:11 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 06:07:58AM -0500, illoai at gmail.com wrote:

> On 24/05/07, kalin mintchev <kalin at el.net> wrote:
> >
> >so nobody on this list knows anything about raid?
> >wrong list?
> >
> >> hi all..
> >>
> >> i have a box in a remote hosting facility that claims that the machine
> >has
> >> two discs raided in it but df and fstab show only one disc with a bunch
> >of
> >> slices.
> >> under devices there is another name - ad6 - but it's not mounted
> >anywhere.
> >> the one i see both in df and the fstab is ad4 with one big slice and
> >> different partitions....
> >>
> >> they insist there are 2 raided discs in tha machine. the os is 5.4 and i
> >> think at that point the raid drivers were still considered
> >'experimental'.
> >>
> >> it makes sense to me that if i don't see a second drive in the fstab
> >there
> >> isn;t any mounting which means that there is no raid going on...
> >>
> >> is there any other way i can make sure if raid is actually on?
> >> would there will be any logs somewhere?
> >> the machine has been up for about 2 years and the dmesg is long gone...
> >>
> >> thanks.....
> >>

> Lots of people here know plenty about RAID,
> but you don't provide very much information.
>
> If dmesg itself returns none of the startup info,
> you can look in /var/log/dmesg.[today|yesterday].
>
> /usr/sbin/pciconf can tell you what controller(s)
> may be attached.
>
> A proper RAID will show up as a single device,
> just like any hard drive (but different).
>
> It does seem odd to me that a (supposed) RAID
> would show up as /dev/ad4.

A hardware raid will look like any other drive to the system.
If it is SATA raid, it should be adN
It is it SAS raid, it should be daN.

Some systems allow you to address the drives as either individual
drives or as the raid - maybe until you have configured it or
something.   Anyway, on a Dell 2950 I could see both designations
but figured out which was the raid and used it and all was fine.

////jerry