Backup advice

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Thu May 24 02:14:03 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 21:03:40 Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> On 23-May-07, at 9:23 PM, Doug Hardie wrote:
> > The criteria for selecting a backup approach is not the backup
> > methodology but the restore methodology.
>
> Excellent point.
>
> Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question, so let me try it this way
> instead:
>
> I'm looking for a backup solution that I can rely on in the event I
> have a catastrophic server failure.  Ideally this backup would look
> and act much like a clone of the production system.  In the worse
> case, I'd re-format the server array and copy the clone back to the
> server, setup the boot blocks, and that would be it.
>
> Ideally this clone should be verifiable, meaning I should be able to
> verify it's integrity so that it's not going to let me down if I need
> it.
>
> I'm thinking external USB hard drive of at least equal size to the
> server array size as far as hardware goes, but I'm lost as far as
> software goes.
>
> Any advice appreciated.

in our enterprise, we use Veritas NetBackup.  expensive, but has been 100%
reliable for us for years.  its unix agent is currently being used on
everything from linux, to osx and freebsd.

unfortunatly, this one doesnt fall under the "free of cost" category, but
veritas tech support that comes with it has always been top notch.  just
thought id throw that out there, incase this is for work and there is a
budget line item to take care of this project :)
--
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org
freebsd at dfwlp.com