Backup advice

Howard Goldstein hg at queue.to
Thu May 24 00:21:24 UTC 2007

Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> - Other folks dumping to a hard drive at night?  Care to share any of
> your experiences/rationale?

Not with dump/restore.  After using amanda and a tape drive for eons I'm
now happy with a bacula solution to backup 2 freebsds and a windows
machine.  It does incrementals except on Saturday night when it
alternates between a differential (sort of a mass incremental from the
last full) and a full backup to a cheap IDE drive.  Every Sunday I copy
the IDE drive to a USB drive and take it offsite and bring back another
one.

After restoring from scratch - power supply frying the entire RAID array
  on my desktop -STABLE machine - I think the advantages of dump are
certainly there but for my apps, where I don't have any huge sparse
files or a lot of hard links other than whatever gets installed with a
fresh install (if anything) to worry about - they're outweighed by the
convenience of bacula where I can go back to a point in time.  YMMV...