Backup advice

Jason Lixfeld jason+lists.freebsd-questions at lixfeld.ca
Thu May 24 00:06:41 UTC 2007

So I feel a need to start backing up my servers.  To that end, I've
decided that it's easier for me to grab an external USB drive instead
of a tape.  It would seem dump/restore are the tools of choice.  My
backup strategy is pretty much "I don't want to be screwed if my RAID
goes away".  That said I have a few questions along those lines:

- Most articles I've read suggest a full backup, followed by
incremental backups.  Is there any real reason to adopt that format
for a backup strategy like mine, or is it reasonable to just do a
dump 0 nightly?  I think the only reason to do just one full backup
per 'cycle' would be to preserve system resources, as I'm sure it's
fairly taxing on the system during dump 0 times.

- Can dump incrementally update an existing dump, or is the idea that
a dump is a closed file and nothing except restore should ever touch it?

- How much does running a backup through gzip actually save?  Is
taxing the system to compress the dump and the extra time it takes
actually worth it, assuming I have enough space on my backup drive to
support a dump 0 or two?

- Other folks dumping to a hard drive at night?  Care to share any of
your experiences/rationale?

Thanks in advance.