"portmanager -s" deletes ports?

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Wed May 23 18:19:59 UTC 2007

On Wednesday May 23, 2007 at 01:19:43 (PM) RW wrote:

> > On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:53:39 +0200
> > Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de> wrote:
> >
> > > This is weird! A program that is supposed to show the *status* of
> > > installed ports should never arbitrarily *remove* ports.
> >
> > I agree that is not clear why it is removing ports without warning.
>
> Well, we don't actually know that.  I suspect that there was a warning,
> but it went to stdout and was eaten by "|grep OLD". Portmanger then
> waited for a y/n response for 5 minutes, and went with the default of
> deleting the port.

If "portmanager" is run with the '-l' flag, it will produce a log in the
'/var/log' directory called 'portmanager.log'. You can inspect that file
to see what transpired.

Occasionally, I always run portmanger like this:

    script ~/pm.log portmanager -u -l -p

That takes care of everything for me and I can backtrack to see where an
error occurred.

Good luck!

--
Gerard