How to do Spam Control in FreeBSD

Peter N. M. Hansteen peter at bsdly.net
Wed May 23 07:43:01 UTC 2007

"dhaneshk k" <dhaneshkk at hotmail.com> writes:

>   I have a freebsd-6.0 server with postfix and mailman running on
> this machine , but I havn't configured spamassasin ,amavisd etc in
> this box. so I am suffering from spams daily ..

Spamassassin is available as a port, as are a number of other useful
bits such as amavisd, clamav and numerous others.

The Postfix web at <http://www.postfix.org> has an extensive
documentation collection (see eg the "UCE/Virus" part of
<http://www.postfix.org/docs.html>) to get you started.

Once you have the content filtering up, you may want to look into
easing the load a bit by introducing greylisting via PF (packet
filter) plugin spamd, which can just as easily run on a separate
machine such as your gateway.  There are a few in-MTA options too, of
course.