[freebsd-questions] Can't build php5? - Now builds, but doesn't work.- Fixed

Patrick Baldwin Patrick.Baldwin at studsvikscandpower.com
Tue May 22 22:50:02 UTC 2007

 >Beech Rintoul wrote:

 >> I found a mirror with a good checksum. Download and put
 >> in /usr/ports/distfiles then rebuild.
 >>
 >>  http://critical.ch/distfiles/suhosin-patch-5.2.2-0.9.6.2.patch.gz
 >>
 >> Beech
 >

 >I did what was suggested above.  All seemed to go well with the
 >rebuild.  Started Apache, and found it was still trying to download
 >PHP files, not run them.  Checked httpd-error.log, found:
 >
 >PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
 >'/usr/local/lib/php/20
 >060613/gd.so' - /usr/local/lib/php/20060613/gd.so: Undefined symbol
 >&quot;gdImag
 >eCreateFromXpm&quot; in Unknown on line 0
 >PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
 >'/usr/local/lib/php/20
 >060613/gd.so' - /usr/local/lib/php/20060613/gd.so: Undefined symbol
 >&quot;gdImag
 >eCreateFromXpm&quot; in Unknown on line 0
 >[Tue May 22 12:53:53 2007] [notice] Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) PHP/5.2.2 with
 >Suhosin-
 >Patch configured -- resuming normal operations
 >[Tue May 22 12:53:53 2007] [notice] Accept mutex: flock (Default: >flock)
 >
 >When I checked to verify that /usr/local/lib/php/20060613/gd.so >existed,
 >>I did find it:
 >webmail# pwd
 >/usr/local/lib/php/20060613
 >webmail# ls -asl g*
 >368 -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  357948 May 22 12:26 gd.so
 >

 >The log mentions the patch, so it looks like that installed fine. The
 >file is there, with the correct date, so it must have been built.
 >
 >I tried dropping the error message into Google, but it didn't yield
 >anything that seemed to apply.
 >
 >My first though was to rebuild, but I've done that twice now, once by
 >just rebuilding php5 and php5-extentions, and once trying portupgrade
 >-rR php5-2.2.  I re-read the docs on portupgrade, as far as I can
 >tell, my command line should have rebuilt everything php5 related
 >in my whole tree.
 >
 >I'm really not sure where to go from here.  I guess I could try to
 >rebuild yet again, but repeating the same attempt at fixing over
 >and over seems rather pointless if I don't understand the underlying
 >problem.
 >
 >Any help appreciated.

Apparently, it wasn't pointless to rebuild.  As I didn't really have
any ideas I:

pkg_delete -f "php5*"

cd /usr/ports/lang/php5

make install clean

cd /usr/ports/lang/php5-extensions

make install clean

Waited,
And now it's working.

I thought portupgrade -rR "php5*" should have basically done everything
I did manually, plus a few things.

In the future, before I pester people with questions, should I just go
ahead and manually rebuild the ports in question?  Some of the FreeBSD
people I've communicated with indicated that was a bad idea, but weren't
very clear on why.

Thanks again for all the help.

Regards,

--