Kernel Options fo a File Server

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Tue May 22 16:48:19 UTC 2007

Ivan Carey wrote:
> Hello,
> What would be the best Kernel options to run a file server?
> I will be using an Intel server mother board with one Xeon quad core CPU
> installed (this mother board has 2 CPU sockets) 2GB RAM and dual 500Gb SATA
> HDD's
>
> I am thinking of options that would make the kernel efficient as a pure file
> server.
>
> Thanks,
> Ivan

Even with a GENERIC kernel you're going to be disk-bound, unless you
have them in RAID 0, in which case you'll be network bound.

If you are running i386 you can take out 486 and 586 support, that's
probably the biggest single improvement you can make, and it's
incremental at best.

---
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel