Sendmail ignores hosts.allow

Maxim Khitrov mkhitrov at gmail.com
Tue May 22 15:37:25 UTC 2007

On 5/22/07, steveb at erienet.net <steveb at erienet.net> wrote:
> I suspect sendmail is reading /etc/hosts.allow
>
> # Start by allowing everything (this prevents the rest of the file
> # from working, so remove it when you need protection).
> # The rules here work on a "First match wins" basis.
> #ALL : ALL : allow
>
> Did you comment out the above line?
>
> Steve

Here's the entire file as it is right now:

# Deny sendmail to all clients (temporary)
sendmail : all : deny

# Allow anything from localhost
all : <local ip> : allow

# Process SSH deny rules
sshd : /etc/hosts.evil : deny

# Allow everything else
all : all : allow

Once I can get sendmail to block all connection requests, I'll move it
below the second rule. That way, only local processes will be able to
use it. For now, however, that rule is being ignored completely.

- Max