configuring nis

Reid Linnemann lreid at cs.okstate.edu
Mon May 21 21:15:11 UTC 2007

Written by WarrenHead on 05/21/07 15:34>>
> Hi,
>
> I have been having some trouble with getting NIS working on my freebsd
> server. Mainly because I have never before used this.
>
> I now have it working, but there is an odd inconsistency which I don't
> know how to remove/update.
>
> I changed the gid of a user with: 'pw usermod -n sam -g 1000', but this
> change is not reflected in the yp maps. I did recreate the maps again
> with 'ypinit -m', but I guess that was not the trick I needed to update
> the maps.
>
> So, now when I run 'ypcat passwd', I see something like this:
> sam:*:1000:1001:Sam Genter:/home/sam:/usr/local/bin/bash
>
> while I also see this: 'id sam'
> uid=1000(sam) gid=1000(sam) groups=1000(sam), 100(users)
>
> The difference is thus the gid.
>
> I can find information about updating/pushing the maps onto slave
> servers, but not about getting changes into the maps on the sole nis
> server I have.
>
> Cheers, Warren

pw by default works on the local /etc/passwd, not the yp passwd
database. I suggest reading about the -y option in the manpage:

-y path

This sets the pathname of the database used by NIS if you are not
sharing the information from /etc/master.passwd directly with NIS. You
should only set this option for NIS servers.