Security Run Output Setuid Differences

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon May 21 20:02:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 11:59:33AM -0700, PeterPluta wrote:
<snip>
> > Looks like you were portupgrading around with postfix, screen and xterm.
> >
> > The output is diff(1).  See the man page for details, but it's basically
> > showing you the difference between last night's directory listing, and
> > that
> > of the previous day.
> >
> > For more gory details, see the scripts in /etc/periodic/security, which
> > are
> > run every night from cron.  Some of the ports you changed resulted in
> > changes to setuid/setgid programs installed on the system.  As a security-
> > concious administrator, you should be interested in the programs on your
> > system that have elevated privilidges, so this script is provided to give
> > you a daily report on that.
>
> I see, so basically after reinstalling the default uid/gid of some programs
> changed? Is that a problem or anything?

It's not a problem. It's just something that you should be aware of from
a security standpoint.

In this case you caused it because you upgraded some ports, which is OK.

But if the size, date, ownership or permissions of a binary change
without any apparent cause, it _could_ be the work of an intruder or
rootkit trying to backdoor your system. That's why the system checks it.

In /etc/defaults/periodic.conf you see which settings there are
concerning security, and what the defaults are. If you want to disable
some of them, put the settings in /etc/periodic.conf with a "NO" value
instead of "YES". But I would recommend to leave them as they are.

Roland