How to configure simple mail forwarder?

Maxim Khitrov mkhitrov at gmail.com
Mon May 21 19:39:27 UTC 2007

On 5/21/07, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 01:52:34PM -0400, Maxim Khitrov wrote:

> > >Sounds to me you just have to enter the proper aliases (in
> > >/etc/mail/aliases), run "newaliases", and you're done, i.e. point
> > >everything to your own e-mail address?
> > >

> > Well I need sendmail running for that correct? Right now I've got it
> > disabled with sendmail_enable="NONE" in my rc.conf. I was hoping to
> > use something a bit less resource intensive, and with a better
> > security history. I am not really at all familiar with sendmail. I
> > tried figuring out how to configure and tune it properly in the past,
> > and realized that I have neither the time or patience for that task. I
> > know that it will probably work the way it comes by default with
> > FreeBSD, but I really don't like running daemons that I don't
> > understand or don't know how to configure and monitor.
> >
> > If this is the most efficient solution to my problem, then I guess
> > I'll head over to the handbook and try to figure sendmail out. If you
> > have other suggestions, by all means, let me know. Otherwise, are
> > there at least parts of sendmail that I can disable?
>
> There is nothing wrong with using sendmail.
> If you want to 'receive' email at the address and forward it to
> some other address, then there is nothing you have to do to configure it.
> Just leave it at its defaults.    Then put the aliases in as indicated.
>
> If you want to be able to send out Email - say from processes, but
> receive no email, not even to forward, then set it to 'no' in rc.conf.
>
> ////jerry

Fair enough, I'll give that a try. Just for my own info, when I set
sendmail_enable to NO and start it up I get sendmail_submit and
sendmail_clientmqueue starting. Am I correct in assuming that
clientmqueue is what accepts the messages from the processes on the
system (places them in /var/spool/mqueue), and submit is what actually
delivers them to other servers?

Thanks for your help guys!