disk too big to mount

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Mon May 21 15:12:54 UTC 2007

Duane Hill wrote:
> Disreguard my previous response. I didn't see your next response to Ray.
> Sorry.
>
> On Sun, 20 May 2007, Yanko Sanchez wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a 400GB seagate IDE hdd with backed up data that I need to load
>> onto
>> a machine running freebsd 6.2
>>
>> The drive is formated for fat32 and when I run the command:
>>
>> mount -t msdos /dev/ad2s2 /mnt/audio/
>>
>> I get the following error:
>>
>> "mountmsdosfs(): disk too big, sorry"
>>
>> Is there a solution to this?
>> Thanks.

Why on earth would you want to create a 400GB MSDOSFS formatted disk?
MSDOSFS was quick but offered no protection against power outages or
incomplete writes, and was horrible in terms of disk fragmentation..

If you really want MSDOSFS for whatever reason, just break up the disk
into smaller chunks partition-wise (IIRC 100GB chunks are fine).

-Garrett