just general questions about fbsd

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Sun May 20 12:37:22 UTC 2007

On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 01:54:36PM -0300, Anton Galitch wrote:

> Hi
> Im writing an article about FreeBSD and want to ask some few question:

The questions you ask can easily be answered by some basic searching
of the FreeBSD web site, FAQ and email archives.   Some of these are
also answered in various online publications that I don't have time
to look up for you right now, but you can easily find them.  Onlamp is
one that has covered FreeBSD features and comparisons with several OSen.
Google is your friend.

> - Do the FBSD developers work for free?

Generally yes.   They are not paid by the FreeBSD foundation although
some of them are fortunate enough to work for companies who view their
contributions to FreeBSD as relevant to their company work and so allow
them to consider the portion of their time spent on FreeBSD as part of
their company work.

> - What advanced features it has that for example Windows, or MacOS dont
> have?

It is reliable.   MAC can claim that to a great extent too.  MS cannot.
It is relatively secure.
Networking is fundamental in FreeBSD and a crowbar-ed addon in MS so it
is inherently better in networking.   It is truly multitasking and MS is
not.   There are many others.

> - What well knows companies use FreeBSD as servers? (I know that Hotmails
> used fbsd servers like 5 years ago).

Last I knew Yahoo was using FreeBSD.   THere are others.   Many companies
use FreeBSD for their network and backend service even when they have MS
on people's desktops.

I hope you will do a more complete job of research before handing in
your paper just based on what I write.  Your teacher is likely to be
reading this list too and will see this.

> Thanks for help.

I suggest you find a machine and install FreeBSD and become familiar with
it.   You will slowly begin to understand the advantages with experienve.

////jerry