Assignment of device names to external USB drives

Denis Fortin fortin at acm.org
Sat May 19 21:35:29 UTC 2007

Greetings,

I am trying to set up a backup server, using a combination of internal
and external (USB) disk drives.

How can I manage the mapping of USB disk drives to device names?  i.e.
USB drives get assigned device names like da0, da1, da2... when they are
detected.  But if one of the drives fails or is not powered up, all
other ones will get bumped down one in the list next time I reboot.

The problem is that if I automatically "mount /dev/da0a
/archive/volume1", "mount /dev/da1a /archive/volume2", etc. I run the
risk of having the wrong disk being mounted on a mount point !?!

Is there an obvious solution that I'm missing, or a canonical workaround
to this problem?

Thanks

Denis F.