Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG - if_ipw not working

Gilbert Cao hika at bsdmon.com
Sat May 19 17:54:06 UTC 2007

On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 03:23:03PM +1000, fbsd wrote:
>  Vince wrote:
> > Justin Muir wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I load the module and I'm not getting the ipw0 device.
> >> If I'm reading the instructions
> >> (damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/ipw-freebsd.html)
> >> correctly, I should be able to:
> >>
> >> 1. load the driver
> >> 2. see the ipw0 device 3. load the firmware into the device with
> >> ipwcontrol.
> >>

> > The 3945ABG needs the wpi driver (ipw is for 2100 chipset)
> > Damien's freebsd wpi driver has been discontinued (for some time see
> > http://kerneltrap.org/node/6497/ .)
> > The page for the driver currently being developed is
> > http://www.clearchain.com/wiki/Wpi but sadly
> > a) the tarballed versions are old and wont compile on -STABLE or
> > -CURRENT (dont know about 6.2-RELEASE though)
> > b) Unless you have perforce access you can only download the more recent
> > development version file by file (from
> > http://perforce.freebsd.org/depotTreeBrowser.cgi?FSPC=//depot/user/benjsc/wpi)
> > c) it doesnt work for me anyway ;)
> >
> > sorry its not better news
> >
> > regards,
> > Vince
>
>  I agree with Vince that the latest drivers do not work at least on FreeBSD
>  6.1 (I'm using PC-BSD 1.3 which is based on 6.1). I tried them all with no
>  luck. But I tried an older version which does, albeit with some error
>  messages. I don't remember where I found it and I don't remember how I
>  installed it (That will teach me to document everything properly!) but
>  please find it attached and good luck!
>
>  Ron

  Hi,

As I have posted a message here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-January/140475.html
I have put a custom version of mine from Benjamin's package here, months ago:
http://www.bsdmon.com/download/20070121-wpi-freebsd.tar.gz

I confirmed the latest driver from Benjamin Clearchain does not work for
me on FreeBSD 6.2. (I hope there will be more news, btw).

Maybe Ron is talking about my custom version ? ^^
Anyway, it is certainly not complete, but at least, it works for me for
months, now ... However, I didn't success in making it work with
wpa_supplicant, sorry ...

Hope this helps !

--
 (hika) Gilbert Cao