Tape Capacity Used?

jhall at vandaliamo.net jhall at vandaliamo.net
Sat May 19 13:10:37 UTC 2007

I am trying to calculate how much of the space on my tape has been used.

This is what I have done, and I want to make sure I barking up the right
tree before going too far.

Move the tape to the end of the data. (mt eod).

Find the logical block location of the drive (mt rdspos).

/dev/nsa0: logical block location 2242573

If I multiply the result (2242573) by my blocksize, does this give me the
total amount of the tape that has been used?

And, if there is an easier way to do this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jay