Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG - if_ipw not working

Vince jhary at unsane.co.uk
Fri May 18 15:57:13 UTC 2007

Justin Muir wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I load the module and I'm not getting the ipw0 device.
> If I'm reading the instructions
> (damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/ipw-freebsd.html)
> correctly, I should be able to:
>
> 1. load the driver
> 2. see the ipw0 device
> 3. load the firmware into the device with ipwcontrol.

The 3945ABG needs the wpi driver (ipw is for 2100 chipset)
Damien's freebsd wpi driver has been discontinued (for some time see
http://kerneltrap.org/node/6497/ .)
The page for the driver currently being developed is
http://www.clearchain.com/wiki/Wpi but sadly
a) the tarballed versions are old and wont compile on -STABLE or
-CURRENT (dont know about 6.2-RELEASE though)
b) Unless you have perforce access you can only download the more recent
development version file by file (from
http://perforce.freebsd.org/depotTreeBrowser.cgi?FSPC=//depot/user/benjsc/wpi)
c) it doesnt work for me anyway ;)

sorry its not better news