SMP issues with i386/6.2 RELEASE and Compaq DL360 g1

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu May 17 18:06:23 UTC 2007

Yes, here is the magic needed for this:

1) make sure you have select UNIX->LINUX 2.x as the OS type in
the BIOS  (use the HP smartcd to access this)

2) Do not strip out "unused CPU's" like I486_CPU, I586_CPU
from your kernel config file.

3) Make sure to either build a GENERIC or SMP kernel with
ALL of the devices that are in GENERIC.  Do NOT strip out any
"unused" devices.  I realize this makes the kernel bigger - but
what appears to be going on, is that the command to "wake up" the
second CPU is being sent too soon after the initial probes for the
acpi controller have taken place.  At least, that is my theory.
Another theory I have is that one of the device probes for an
unused device is tickling some piece of hardware on the motherboard
that if not otherwise tickled, the second CPU won't wake up.

I haven't done further effort to isolate this, but I've seen
the problem on the DL320 as well.  If you have the time to play with
multiple kernel configurations I'm sure you can stumble across what
the issue is.

Ted