what's the easiest way to de-html-ize files?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Wed May 16 01:35:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 03:34:14PM +1000, Ian Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2007 14:34:52 -0700 Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
>  > On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 12:09:07PM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>  > > On May 12, 2007, at 12:54 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
>  > > >This is for those of us who appreciate ASCII or straight
>  > > >	ISO_8859-15 rather than marked up files.  I have slapped together
>  > > >	a crude C program that does scotch (or *cleanse*) text of
>  > > >	<B></B> and so on.   Still... is there some standalone converter
>  > > >	that gets rids of markup more elegantly?   Something where i
>  > > >	can say
>  > > >
>  > > >	% cmd file_1.html ... file_N.html and output file_1.text ...
>  > > >	file_N.text?
>  > >
>  > > Perhaps:
>  > >
>  > >   lynx -dump file1.html ... > file.text
>  > >
>  > > ...?
>  >
>  > 	Hm, maybe Ineed Bill Campbell's -force_html switch.
>  >
>  > 	Yes, seems that way.  USing just -dump got most of them, but
>  > 	using the -force_html caught all.  Need to script something to
>  > 	reformat, but the worst of it's done!
>
> Also, if using Mozilla (so, I would assume, Firefox) the 'Save Page As'
> dialog offers a picklist for 'Files of Type' that includes 'Text Files'.
>
> This does a pretty decent job of producing text from HTML files, and is
> quicker than firing up lynx (or links) if you're already viewing a page.

	Oh sure; I've been saving html in text, ascii/8859-1 for years.
	But what I've got, and there are more saved **somewhere**, are
	files that are saved by default in markup.  I have a slew of
	these on different boxen and have been moving then to one place.
	Problem is: how to de-html the bunch.

	I'm too lazy to write something that would automate what Can be
	automated--markup like "&foo;" are problematic.  So probably the
	easiest way would be to create a dehtml.sh script that is just a
	wrapper around lynx.

	I don't think I'm the only hacker who wants just-plain-ascii, so
	this might mak a good project for somebody who's new to C or
	perl.   That's my two pennies' worth!

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix