Spaces in SSID in /etc/rc.conf

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Tue May 15 10:14:39 UTC 2007

Gunther Mayer wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I got a low key server who is wirelessly connected to the net using an
> SSID that contains a space. In rc.conf I define the ifconfig line for
> configuration of my wireless interface upon bootup, but the entire line
> reads something like
>
> ifconfig_ath0=' inet 192.168.0.1 ssid "my network" '
>
> No matter how I tweak the quotes (single then double, other way round,
> with lots of \\) I never get my interface to configure properly upon
> bootup and I need to get to the console to fix it up. I thought I knew
> shell syntax but this is beyond me or manpages...
>
> What's the right way to do this?

I think the "right way" is to use wpa_supplicant.conf to define wireless
networks. Then in your rc.conf you prefix the NIC configuration with WPA
like this:

ifconfig_ath0=="WPA DHCP"

This method also allows you to define various wireless networks if needed.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org