camcontrol

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun May 13 08:13:46 UTC 2007

Then you are screwed.  The drive is using some sort of remapping and
the actual block with the problem is somewhere else.

> It
> is always that same block, so the badness does not seem to be
> growing.Is there a way to diagnose what file it is trying to
> read? (perhaps I could remove that inode?)

No and no.

What you need to do is backup the disk, then boot into MS-DOS and
run the disk drive manufacturer's software that forces the SCSI disk
to update it's bad sector list and remap the bad block.

A modern SCSI disk should NEVER show an error because it is always
silently remapping bad sectors.

All disks lose a sector now and then, that is why they have spare
sectors and a bad sector list.  You will never see a report of a bad
sector until the day comes that the disk has had so many sectors
fail that it's used up it's spare sectors.

Years ago there were some disks that while they had this capability
it was disabled by default - I have no idea why - and when a bad sector
did develop the disk would report it until you sent the device a
scsi format command, then the remapping would happen.

There are some disk programs on the Internet that can do this as
well.

Ted

-Grant----- Original