Is there any already-existing method for removing empty dirs through periodic?

Josh Tolbert hemi at puresimplicity.net
Sat May 12 05:31:38 UTC 2007

Hello,

A bit of backstory...I'm running motion (motion.sourceforge.net) on a machine
connected to three analog IR cameras through three bktr cards in order to keep
an eye on our vehicles. We've had problems with stereos stolen, tires cut,
etc. motion is configured to write files out to the apache22 DocumentRoot,
which makes it easy to view the videos. I've even got Apache doing neat things
with HTMLTable, FancyIndexing, SuppressRules and CSS to make it not look
horrible, but that's besides the point.

The cameras write out their videos to subdirs like so:
year/month/day/camera-#/hh-mm-ss.avi.

This setup eats disk space fast. I've been using the clean-tmps daily periodic
to remove all files older than seven days from the video location, which takes
care of the space issue, but there's one more little issue. It leaves a lot of
empty directories. I could just write a cron entry to take care of empty
directories, but I'm hoping there's something I'm missing and there's a way to
remove empty directories from the locations specified in
daily_clean_tmps_dirs. If there's not, would this be a useful feature to add
to the clean-temps daily script?

Thanks,

Josh
--
Josh Tolbert
hemi at puresimplicity.net  ||  http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor
do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger
is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either
a daring adventure, or nothing.
    -- Helen Keller