ppp & dhcp

WizLayer wizlayer at gmail.com
Sat May 12 03:01:19 UTC 2007

On Friday 11 May 2007 06:52:08 pm you wrote:
> Hi,
> HISADDR is never offered in the transaction.
> the if for ppp looks like {registered addresss >> private address }
> The transaction should contain 2 registered addresses which are MYADDR and
> HISADDR.
> The latter is never offered. Ever.
> I need to find a way to make either ppp renegotiate the addresses or get
> dhclient to do it at link up.
>
> TCPdump only works on routable addresses at this point my end thinks it has
> a real HISADDR when it has a private addr, you end up with routing
> conflicts because his end is trying to route to my end of the pipe which
> has a completly different address.
>
> Windows which uses dhcp with it's ppp implementation has to renegotiate as
> well.
>
> BSD ppp has the dhcp client inbuilt.
>
> John

I seriously doubt you'll be able to get dhcp client to work that way unless
you apply some really ugly hacks to it.  :)  ppp uses IPCP.  See link for
more details:

http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/IPCP.htm

Nobody on this list can really guess very well at what your setup is.  If
you're looking for more specific advice, we need something to work with.

Is this PPOE?  Dial-up?  Do the logs show anything? What does your ppp.conf
look like?  When you ppp manually and connect, are you able to get a
renegotiation with 'add! default HISADDR'?  (I'm pretty sure it's a '!' for a
forced renegotiation if_exist, anyway).

I've had my share of brain-dead ISP "techs" too.  If it's not on the
flow-chart they follow when they're talking to you, they're completely lost.
It's almost funny.  :)

WizLayer

--

Life is better with a BSD.