ppp & dhcp

WizLayer wizlayer at gmail.com
Fri May 11 23:12:52 UTC 2007

On Friday 11 May 2007 05:53:18 pm Mulga wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a very brain dead and full of them self ISP who insist on having a
> misconfigured dhcp server.
>
> One essential peice of infomation is missing from the ppp transaction
> "HISADDR" the GW .
>
> As ppp handles the dhcp side of things internally, would anyone like to
> suggest a way of getting the server to reveal its address.
>
> To date I have tried running dhclient after the linkup, telling the ISP he
> had a small inconsistancy, and got a ear full of abuse for that.
>
> As this provider "Telstra AU" is the only provider of this service I can't
> change. So I need to work around there problem.
>
> Regards John

I'm not sure what you are getting at.  Are you saying that the HISADDR in ppp
doesn't work because of your ISPs configuration?  Or are you saying that
you're looking for your ISPs specifics for setup purposes?

You could try a tcpdump on your if while connecting (or trying to connect).
That should give you an idea of whats going on.  whois, arpinfo...?

HTH

WizLayer

--

Life is better with a BSD.