Can't get the syntax correct for my tcpdump command

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Thu May 10 19:19:20 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm about to launch this computer through the roof!  This tcpdump is
more finicky than feline when it comes to eating.  What really bugs me
is that just a couple of days ago I was doing this very same thing
with no problems.  For some reason, however, I just can't resurrect
the memory of how the syntax goes.

I want to capture only the IPv6 UDP traffic from my FreeBSD box to a
host I'm trying to mount through NFS.  A couple of days ago, I got it,
but I had to kill that terminal session abnormally and the commands
aren't in my history.  So, I have something like this,

tcpdump -v -s 192 -i fxp0 ip6 host remote

The above works.  However, when I try to modify the command to filter
out only the UDP traffic, I've tried something like this:

tcpdump -v -s 192 -i fxp0 ip6 udp host remote

To which tcpdump complains of syntax errors.  Variations I've tried are:

tcpdump -v -s 192 -i fxp0 ip6 proto udp host remote

tcpdump -v -s 192 -i fxp0 udp ip6 host remote

All to no avail.  As I said, I'm rather steamed that just two days ago
I was getting what I want and today my memory won't cooperate with me.
 Please help!

Thanks,
Andy