Machine freezes on modem ring

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Thu May 10 13:09:03 UTC 2007

Nate Eldredge wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an odd problem with my FreeBSD box.  I have an external serial
> modem connected, and whenever the phone rings, the system freezes
> momentarily.  No mouse movement, etc.  To diagnose it, I wrote a program
> that calls gettimeofday continuously, and when the phone rings there is
> about a 2 second interval between loops.  This corresponds roughly to
> the time of each ring.

Out of curiosity, does the system hang with no mouse attached?

Try your gettimeofday() after you have disconnected the mouse. It may
even be better to test this after a cold-boot with no mouse attached.

I just remember way back when having interrupt problems with external
modems with a mouse attached.

Steve